Topaz is a silicate mineral of aluminium and fluorine with the chemical formulaAl2SiO4(F,OH)2. Topaz crystallizes in the orthorhombic system, and its crystals are mostly prismatic terminated by pyramidal and other faces.
Pure topaz is colourless and transparent but is usually tinted by impurities; typical topaz is wine, yellow, pale gray, reddish-orange, or blue brown. It can also be made white, pale green, blue, gold, pink (rare), reddish-yellow or opaque to transparent/translucent.
Naturally occurring blue topaz is quite rare. Typically, colorless, gray or pale yellow and blue material is heat treated and irradiated to produce a more desired darker blue.
Mystic topaz is colorless topaz which has been artificially coated giving it the desired rainbow effect.
Topaz soothes, heals, stimulates, recharges, remotivates and aligns the meridians of the body – directing energy to where it is needed most. It promotes truth and forgiveness. Topaz brings joy, generosity, abundance and good health. Releases tension, inducing relaxation. Topaz promotes openness and honesty, self-realization and self-control. It aids problem-solving and assists in expressing ideas. Stabilizes the emotions, making you receptive to love from all sources.
Wonderful stone to help one with their individuality. Topaz stimulates creativity as well. It gives you the ability to trust the decisions that you have made. It replaces negativity with joy and love. It allows you to cut through uncertainty. A crystal of potency. Also good for helping one to visualize. A good stone for meditations. It allows the energies of the Universe to come to you and encourages a willingness to act in making the desired changes in your life.
Topaz is a crystal of Truth and forgiving. It is a symbol of chastity, happiness, true friendship and hope. It helps us to find our true purpose and destiny. The topaz crystal is able to make us more aware of our thoughts, feelings and actions, and of their karmic effects. As such, it is able to activate our Cosmic awareness.The topaz healing abilities are connected to spiritual and physical rejuvenation. It releases tension and promotes feelings of joy and happiness. It can be used to promote understanding, compassion, kindness and empathy. It opens the hearts of those who have closed them while at the same time protecting the openhearted from too much pain.
Topaz aids digestion and combats eating disorders, such as anorexia and bulimia. It fortifies the nerves and stimulates the metabolism. Topaz is a powerful stone for strengthening the whole physical body. It balances, soothes and cleanses emotions and thoughts, releases stress, and brings joy. It can help with blood disorders, promotes rejuvenation, and helps in curing endocrine problems, thrombosis and asthma.
In addition to the generic healing properties of Topaz, specific colors have additional attributes:
- Blue with it’s cool, tranquil, soothing vibrations help balance the emotions, with creativity, self expression and psychic perception. Brings truth and wisdom. It aids in clear communication. Blue Topaz helps in bringing body, mind and spirit into union. It assists in recognizing where you have strayed from your own truth.
- Clear topaz opens up communication with non human species.
- Yellow/gold, ruled by the sun, brings abundance, encourages practicality as well as good planning. Strengthens faith and optimism. It assists in recognizing your own abilities, instills a drive toward recognition and attracts helpful people. Bestows charisma and confidence with pride in abilities. Yellow Topaz regenerates cellular structures and is beneficial for nervous exhaustion and insufficient combustion of nutrients. It treats the liver, gallbladder and the endocrine glands.
- Green assists in keeping one from adding to karma by heavy thoughts of revenge
- Sherry encourages to seek and retain knowledge. It is stimulating on the higher mind, charging the aura with greater awareness.
- Brown or red-brown topaz stimulates good taste and discrimination as well as assisting one cut through doubt, specifically self-doubt. This stone is good for those who are more inclined to not trust the universe at all than to trust it indiscriminately.
- Pink encourages integrity, honesty and openness.
- White/Clear stimulates the mind for better intellectual focus, much the same effect as the amber, but is not as powerful.
- Orange topaz, also known as precious topaz.
Mythology and History
Topaz is one of the twelve stones in the breastplate of the ancient Hebrew High Priests, which is mentioned in the Book of Exodus. It is believed that the stones of the breastplate together with 12 powerful Angels protect the door to Heaven.
The ancient Greeks believed that it had the power to increase strength and make its wearer invisible in times of emergency. Topaz was also said to change color in the presence of poisoned food or drink. Its mystical curative powers waxed and waned with the phases of the moon.
The name topaz comes from the Sanskrit and means fire. The Egyptians said that topaz was colored with the golden glow of the mighty sun god Ra. This made topaz a very powerful amulet that protected the faithful against harm. The Romans associated topaz with Jupiter, who also is the god of the sun.
Perhaps the most famous is a giant specimen set in the 17th century Portuguese Crown, (1,640 carats) the Braganza as it was named, was first thought to be a the largest diamond ever found, later it was discovered to be a colorless topaz.