• Word origin – Sanskrit word for Sacral Chakra is Swadhisthana which is further divisible into Swa meaning “one’s own” and Adhisthana meaning “the place of residence”, and this what this chakra actually is. It is the place where all human mental impressions or Samkaras are stored.
• Symbol – Svadhisthana chakra is symbolized by a six petaled orange colored lotus. On each petal there is letter: bam, bham, mam, yam, ram and lam.
• There is white crescent moon within the lotus, which is translated as the symbol of water. Water is the element of the svadhisthana chakra.
• Sound – VAM
• Colour – orange
• Physical Location – Sacral chakra is situated at the base of spinal chord, at the level of coccyx or tailbone.
• Purposes – emotional connection
• Spiritual Lesson – creativity, manifestation. honouring relationships, learning to “let go”
• Physical Dysfunctions- low back pain, sciatica, ob/gyn problems, pelvic pain, libido, urinary problems
• Mental and Emotional Issues – blame, guilt, money, sex, power, control, creativity, morality
• Information Stored Inside Sacral Chakra – duality, magnetism, controlling patterns, emotional feelings (joy, anger, fear)
• Area of Body Governed – sexual organs, stomach, upper intestines, liver, gallbladder, kidney, pancreas, adrenal glands, spleen, middle spine
• Gemstones and Flower Essences Gemstones – Garnet, Moonstone, Orange Tourmaline Flower Essences – Indian Paintbrush, Lady’s Slipper, Hibiscus
• Herbs – fennel, coriander
• Sacral Chakra – Creativity & movement
The Sacral chakra is situated very near to The Root Chakra i.e Muladhara. It is the second chakra in the series of seven psychic centres and it is also responsible for the awakening of kundalini power in the Root Chakra.
It is believed that all karmas, the past lives, the previous experiences and the greater dimensions of the human personality that is unconscious is symbolized by this Svadhisthana Chakra. Each and every experience, perception and association is recorded. If you have a fight or quarrel with somebody, that leaves a strong impression and is stored in this area of the body. Such observations are not analyzed but simply filed away in some layer of mind. All these unnoticed karmas and experiences which are stored automatically by our consciousness, form the total unconscious. Svadhisthana is considered to be storehouse of all mental impressions and its counterpart in the unconscious mind.
When svadhisthana awakens, it presents many difficulties for the aspirant as whole of his unconscious material explodes in front of him. Generally in kundalini awakening process, Sacral chakra is regarded as a hindrance in the sense that these karmas lying embedded in the unconscious do not allow kundalini to pass through and after the initial awakening, kundalini goes to dormancy again and again. Therefore due to this reason many spiritual aspirants avoid to enter this stage of kundalini awakening process, but it is absolutely necessary for his spiritual evolution.
When kundalini is residing in Sacral chakra, all the negative and positive impressions of your unconscious mind express themselves. During this stage, you may be angry, afraid or full of sexual fantasies or you may also experience lethargy, dullness and depression.
Therefore in the initial stages of sadhana, one should have superior quality of detachment (Vairagya). It should not be mere renunciation of the sensual pleasures because if even after leaving all sensual pleasures, their taste remains in mind then this detachment is of no use. If aspirant understands the truth that desires can never be satisfied in one lifetime, not even in thousands of lifetimes, the kundalini can pass through sacral chakra relatively fast and will reach solar plexus chakra safely.
When this chakra is active and healthy there is a beautiful flow, a dance and a joy. Creative ability and imagination are part of its signature. It is the same creative force that flows through us and also through the natural world. It is ours to shape and create with. It is up to us whether we create beauty, harmony and peace or whether we create ugliness and disharmony. This depends on our state of consciousness. Orange is a playful colour and this is a centre of innocent playfulness, but tensions can build here as the rules and restrictions of society cause rigidity that impinges upon the free flow of the dance of life. If you enter a phase of life where you feel bored and your creative energy is spent, a change is surely needed.
When spiritually is awakened, whatever we create has the frequency of love within it. It might be a painting, a necklace, or writing a letter or e-mail, but the energy of Divine love in the sacral chakra works through everything that we do and is with us in every movement. It does not reside only in the heart, but moves throughout our system.
It is said that if you meditate on this chakra, you will get rid of your internal enemies’ i.e lust, anger, greed etc.
There are many imbalances connected with the sacral chakra. Today, sexuality has so many connotations and expectations and often we are overpowered by the need to fall in line with the demands of a society that has sexual fulfillment as a major pleasure. This often has nothing to do with love and can become obsessive. When this happens, a feeling of being ‘used’ can arise within the personality. Often behind excessive sexuality is a need to be loved, but the partners chosen are not able to provide it.
In this area two people come together and share themselves in love. There are many levels of sexuality, and the heights are reached when both are spiritually in tune and hearts are opened to Divine love. This then becomes a universal experience as well as a shared personal one. This is selfless sharing and lust is minimal. True love creates great beauty in the aura and chakras of partners, uplifting them and satisfying them spiritually, emotionally and physically. Love is not only present during the sexual act, but in every moment of the day and also in every activity.
Sexual desires and fantasies can manifest in the aspirant at any stage of evolution but they are expressed very acutely and clearly when the kundalini is in Sacral Chakra.
According to the tantric texts, there are many psychic powers gained through the awakening of Sacral Chakra which includes: Fearlessness from water, gaining of intuitive knowledge, knowledge of astral entities and the ability to taste anything.