- Colour – indigo
- Sanskrit Name – ajna
- Physical Location – centre of the forehead
- Purposes – action of ideas, insight, mind development
- Spiritual Lesson – understanding, reality check point, detachment, open mind
- Physical Dysfunctions- brain tumours, strokes, blindness, deafness, seizures, learning disabilities, spinal dysfunctions, panic, depression
- Mental and Emotional Issues – fear of truth, discipline, judgement, evaluation, emotional intelligence, concept of reality, confusion
- Information Stored Inside Sacral Chakra- seeing clear picture (symbolic or literal), wisdom, intuition, mental facilities, intellect
- Area of Body Governed – brain, neurological system, eyes, ears, nose, pituitary, pineal glands
- Gemstones – Purple Flourite, Sugalite, Lapis
- Flower Essences – Wild Oat, Queen Anne’s Lace, Madia
- Bija Sound: Aum or “Pranava Om”, the supreme sound
- Herbs – basil, blue skullcap, sandalwood,
Ajna has two white petals, said to represent the psychic channels, Ida and Pingala, which meet here with the central Sushumna nadi (channel) before rising to the crown chakra, Sahasrara. Written upon them in white are the letters ‘Ham’ on the left petal, and ‘ksham’ on the right petal, representing Shiva and Shakti, respectively. These petals also represent the manifest and unmanifest mind, and are said by some to represent the pineal and pituitary glands.
The third eye is supposedly located around the middle of the forehead, slightly above the junction of the eyebrows. In some traditions, it is believed to be connected with the pineal gland, or identical with it. Some theories posit that in far ancient times, humans had a third eye on their foreheads which provided them the ability to peer into spiritual realms. Over time, the third eye atrophied and sunk into the convolutions of the brain
Ajna translates as ‘command’, and is considered as the eye of intuition. Out of the main seven body energy centres third eye chakra is one of the most important chakras.
Your eyesight lets you see the world through the filters limited beliefs that you have, therefore you only see a small picture of the real world. Your third eye does not have any filters, therefore you see the reality as it really is.
When you open your third eye chakra you become more spiritually protected. Your sixth sense sharpens and you become more in tune with the universe. Your character features will not change, but you will have greater knowledge of this world and others. Your third eye gives you an opportunity to experience different dimensions without having to leave your body.
Usually people experience their third eye when they meditate. If you do not feel any vibration when you concentrate on the third eye, but you see colours of your third eye straight away, that means your eye is already awakened.
Comparisons with other systems
In Tibetan Buddhism, this chakra is at the end of the central channel, which in their system runs up the body to the top of the head, and then over and down to the forehead, where it terminates. The 2 side channels then continue onwards towards the two nostrils, and end there. This centre is frequently depicted in artwork as the ‘third eye,’ and is used in various meditations.
There is also a forehead centre above the third eye, which corresponds to the position of Manas, known as the Wind Wheel, which is one of the ten chakras in the Mahayoga tantra traditions.
In Qigong, the highest Dantian is located in this position. This is one of three ‘furnaces’ that converts the different sorts of energy in the body. In this Dantian, the spiritual shen energy is converted into wuji, the infinite space of void.
Within the system of Lataif-e-sitta there exists a Lataif known as Khafi, or arcane subtlety, in this same position, and is related to mystical intuition.
In the Kabbalah, there are two sephiroth located on the sixth level, associated with the left and right eye. They are called Chokmah, wisdom, and Binah, understanding, and it is at these points that the two side pillars of mercy and severity terminate, while the central pillar carries on rising to kether, the crown.