The first and very important step towards healthy and natural lifestyle is detox. Years of abuse towards our body through eating artificial foods full of sugar and refined flour need to be addressed. People normally think about detoxifying their bodies by drinking just water for few days. This idea is compelling to those who think they will quickly lose a lot of weight and once finished, they can go back to their old routines. Real detox, one which can lead to healthier body and eventually weight loss, involves not just the food we eat.
The food is obviously very important, yet we are surrounded by pollutions and dangerous chemicals in products we use every day.
Detox does not have to be horrible. Just the thought of living only on water can make anyone drop the idea before the start. There are loads of people around the world who are using juicing as detox and this is probably the best way one can make that first step. Drinking juice, instead of consuming solid foods clears, the body at the same time providing vital nutrition for energy, so you can carry on with everyday tasks. It also isn’t for everyone. If you are already eating healthy and don’t have major food cravings, you probably don’t need it.
Few things to consider during juice detox (or any other detox):
- Drink mineral or filtered water, never from the tap – regardless of how safe it is said to be – until you check it yourself, you can never know what is in it.
- Avoid using chemicals on your body. By that I mean shower gels, shampoos, toothpaste, deodorants – unless produced free from artificial colouring, harsh chemicals, fragrances, preservatives, GMO ingredients, parabens etc. These products are normally not tested on animals either, so you would also be helping poor creatures who are unnecessarily abused. Try to not go back to using damaging products again – use this as an opportunity to change your habits. You can even go as far as completely removing some of these products from your shopping list, read here if you curious: http://freetheanimal.com/2009/12/paleo-i-dont-care-i-like-no-soap-no-shampoo.html
- If you feel like you lack energy and feel that you need to eat something, try having a salad, or light meal. This doesn’t mean you failed, in fact it may mean you are capable of listening to your body better than you did before detox. You simply may not need to detox for as long as others recommended.
- During detox there are several toxic substances released from your body. This can mean you will feel worse before you feel better, and that also applies to your mind. The good thing is, if you do carry on, you will always feel better than you did before the detox. Why? Because by then you would have shown to yourself that you can be in control and you can achieve whatever you set your mind to. That is definitely good experience to have.
- Remember that detox is first step to lifestyle change. To make it work you need to have a plan as to what you are going to do after you finished it. If you decided you need to detoxify, that means you realise your old habits weren’t doing you any good. Change them.
- Try to use organic products in your juices. Read more about organic here https://beonewithnature.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/why-is-it-worth-to-eat-organic-no-it-is-not-that-expensive/
If you haven’t watched documentary about Joe Cross, “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead”, it’s probably good idea you do so. He has started his new life by 60 days juicing and no solid food, see how he has changed and let him inspire you: http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/about.html
Jason Vale is another great example of the effect of juicing. In this 5 min video, he explains very well why we should detoxify our bodies: http://www.juicemaster.com/juice-therapy/why-juice/?___store=default
Good luck & Keep juicing!