We all find ourselves in stressful situations in life. The most important thing to do is obviously to calm down and resolve the situation. We can support our body during and after first stressful response called ‘flight or fight’. Long term stress will eventually cause exhaustion and severe health issues.
The main nutrients that can help at the ‘fight or flight’ response are:
- Vitamin C and foods containing this vitamin, as it helps to prevent free radical damage,
- Selenium as antioxidant; any other foods with high antioxidant levels,
- Vitamins B, in particular vitamin B5,
- Essential fats,
- Good quality protein like lean meats, fish, lentils for vegetarians,
- Reduction of sugars and sugary drinks,
- Reduction of caffeinated drinks,
- Sleep promoting supplements,
- Gamma amino butyric acid (GABA) supplements as it switches off adrenal rush and helps the brain to calm down,
- Valerian – it is used as anti-anxiety herb and helps with restlessness, nervousness, insomnia and hysteria. It also helps to calm the stomach.
- Hops and passion flower which help with sleep problems and have calming effects on nerves,
- Magnesium as it is important mineral in relaxation of the mind and muscles, helps in migraines and anxiety.
Other than the above: Keep calm and stay healthy!:)